Before you Play the Return of the Obra Dinn game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
- Pay attention, the game rewards you for noticing tiny details. It gives you clues to never have to guess, but only if you’re really paying attention and sometimes educated guesses might be the way to go. Brute-forcing can work if you’ve really come to a complete stop, but is never required.
- If you can’t find the next corpse, check your book – it will have the it’s location in the relevant page. In general you should familiarize yourself with the book and its functions, things like the maps showing a character’s timeline and the glossary page are quite useful.
- There are often multiple valid answers for cause of death, so if you think several answers sound right they probably are. Confirmations of correct fates happen in sets of three, so you’ll know you’re off with either identity or cause if a 3-set is locked in but a character you’ve filled in is not included.
- The book’s ability to show which people are present in each scene is very useful as a perceptive player can make a number of deductions based on the presence or absence of a character in a scene.
- When a character’s face is unblurred, they can be identified by some means available to you. While this is pointed out in the game, it’s worth emphasizing as a face will only be unblurred once and noting which scene caused it to happen is useful information for identifying people.
- Zooming in on a character in a flashback will show their sketch, and clicking there will open up their page.
- In the dialogue transcript, an X next to a line means it’s being spoken by whoever died there.
- The difficulty ratings are static and do not change based on how much information you uncover.
- You can temporarily label people as “unidentified [role]”, even people whose faces are still blurred, which can be helpful to narrow down options for the future.
- Once the help menu (the question mark on the identification page) is available, the “Using the book, generally” section within has some hint information not covered otherwise.
- You’ve seen all memories when your ferryman talks about a storm, but you can take as much time as you want after. You’ll also be notified once you’ve solved every possible fate in the chapters you can access during your time on the ship and can safely leave, though you can quit early for a less complete ending and rewind back afterwards with some additional info.
Recommended for You
- Return of the Obra Dinn – Hint / Nudge Guide
- Return of the Obra Dinn – How You’re Supposed to Identify People
- Return of the Obra Dinn – Captain Did It Achievement Guide
- Return of the Obra Dinn – Comprehensive Retelling of the Obra Dinn’s Tragedy (Walkthrough)
- Return of the Obra Dinn – The Fate of Every Crewmember