Before you play the Path of Exile game, you will definitely want to know these simple but useful tips and tricks. If you have any tips feel free to share with us!
Things to Know Before Playing
Note that some advice might become outdated as a result of ongoing changes to the game.
- Path of Exile really incentivizes knowing what build you’re going for from the beginning. Your best bet is to go to the forums, look up a build guide (preferably one described as cheap or good for new leagues), and follow that on your first character as you learn the game. Resolute Technique + Cyclone is a popular one. Flame Totems also works really well, though some people find it boring. I did a Tornado Shot Ranger a while back as my first character and it was pretty damned solid.
- To add to the above, respeccing isn’t really a thing except in limited circumstances, so it’s really useful to at least have an idea of what you’re going for.
- Currency can be used on nearly everything. Find a strongbox? You can use orbs on it to make it magical and reroll until you like the suffixes. There’s a whole bunch of stuff you can do, and for a first character I’d encourage you to experiment with the more common orbs a bunch (alteration, transmutation, augmentation).
- There’s no money. Currency is all in the form of different orbs and scrolls that all do different things when used.
- On that note, look up vendor recipes on the wiki. There’s a few that are really easy to get a lot of the time. One in particular is that any item that has three linked sockets of all three colors will net you a chromatic orb.