Just a guide to show people a few simple tweaks they can do to improve their experience.
Guide to Simple Tweaks
Unlock FPS + Refresh Rate
- Turn vsync off in display settings to unlock the fps.
- Disable fullscreen optimizations on main exe file to unlock refresh rate (Steam>steamapps>common>Mafia Definitive Edition>mafiadefinitiveedition.exe).
- If ^ doesn't work then turn off fullscreen and change to windowed, then turn borders off to get fullscreen borderless mode.
Note: Many of the graphical settings in my personal experience required a restart or even 2 to even have it take effect in my experience.
- To fix the crash on startup launch the game using "mafiadefinitiveedition.exe" located in the folder stated previously which will bypass the launcher, once in game disable the launcher.
- Another potential crashing solution for some people is to go to the steam game properties and disable the steam overlay (Also it is worth trying to remove other monitoring programs or overlays such as GeForce Experience if the issue persists).
- Missing DLL files can cause in game errors and crashes, so you could try to reinstall DirectX.
- In rare cases you might need to set an exclusion for this game on some antivirus software or even windows virus protection.
- Running "mafiadefinitiveedition.exe" as an administrator by going to properties>compatibility>run as administrator could help some people running into issues.
- Turn off Motion Blur, DOF, and put Anti-Aliasing on Low if you want to improve the clarity.
- If you have the NVIDIA overlay you can also use Alt+F3 to try to use filters such as sharpening to make things more crisp.
Skip Intro Video
- Go to steam\steamapps\common\Mafia Definitive Edition\sds_retail\video
- Go to “Mafia Definitive Edition\sds_retail\video”
- Backup “_logo_2k_h13_bullet.bik”
- Create a copy of "cine_black_video.bik"
- Rename this copy to "_logo_2k_h13_bullet.bik"
Note: If you have a very old graphics card don't expect to be able to run this game, I'm talking to the several people posting about their GTX 560TIs, GTX 750TIs, etc. It is time to upgrade, no excuses, your card for several reasons is likely unable to run this game regardless of optimization but for requirements such as VRAM, you can literally get a card far better for even less then $200.