So, 1.4.4 was released and with it came a new, 4th liquid: Shimmer. This thing has more properties than someone could count on their hand after a visit to chernobyl, so I’m putting this together to try and document all of them.
Guide to Shimmer
Shimmer is a pink liquid which is made from a bottomless water bucket and 10 luminite bars. When in it for a short amount of time, you will lose control of your character and start moving down, and keep moving down until a open spot is found that the player can fit in, after which you regain control. Shimmer also will turn into aether block if it comes into contact with other liquids. Shimmer will also reflect any projectile off of it, and cannot be fished in or put in a bucket. You also can’t use your grappling hook in it.
The main point of this liquid is shimmering: transforming objects and npcs that land in the liquid into something completely different.
- Slime > Shimmering Slime
- Critters > Faelings
Town NPCS will swap between their normal form and their “Shimmered” form. I don’t know if all of these are, but I know some of these are references to other games/media.
The Town Pets have no variations.
The cultists do… something. They disappear like they were shimmered, but instead of shimmering, they just slowly fade back into existence.
Bosses don’t seem to be affected, but I haven’t tested all of them.
Any items not listed here either aren’t affected or will be split into their crafting recipe’s components if it is a craftable item.
- Star cloak > Chromatic cloak
- Rod of Discord > Rod of Harmony
- Torch > Aether Torch
- Arrow/Hellfire Arrow > Shimmer Arrow
- Any Fruit > Ambrosia
- Life Crystal > Vital Crystal
- Life Fruit > Aegis Fruit
- Mana Crystal > Arcane Crystal
- Enchanted Sundial > Enchanted Moondial
- Spell Tome > Advanced Combat Techniques: Volume 2
- Clentaminator > Terraformer
- Gold Worm > Gummy Worm
- Any non-normal wood > Wood
- Wood, any stone, and any mud > dirt
- Ice block > Snow Block
- Cycle between Discount Card > Gold Coin > Gold Ring > Discount Card
- Cycle between Weather Radio > Fisherman’s Pocket Guide > Sextant > Weather Radio
- Cycle between Pumpkin > Cactus > Pumpkin
- Cycle between Bottomless Water Bucket > Bottomless Shimmer Bucket > Bottomless Water Bucket
- Cycle between Tackle Box > High Test Fishing Line > Angler Earring > Tackle Box (Thanks PapierKeks)
- Angel Statue > Aether Monolith
The Aether Monolith is a special case. When equipped or placed and activated, almost everything will go pitch back with a starry background. When some blocks are near a light source, they will glow, even after the light source is removed. I am currently unsure to whether or not this relates to if they can be shimmered or not.