Important Crusade Mode Spots
Act 2: A Humorously Brief Instruction
The Crusade mode "officially" begins in Act 2, just after you retake the Gray Garrison and have a rousing celebration in the tavern. You are appointed as Knight Commander, given an expeditionary force, and are commanded to go forth and retake Drezen. Sounds simple enough, right?
It more or less is, as it turns out. You can only recruit a handful of units, plus a few more types after some development during Act 2, and the annoyances of city development and being counter-attacked are totally absent. The trick is to build up as large of a single consolidated army as you can, ensure it has a general, and use that army to take over all the territory available in Act 2.
The two primary concerns that affect the rest of the game are how you handle Leper's Smile and whether you go to rescue the Hellknights, both of which happen after you conquer the first fort (Vilareth Ford's Outpost). It is strongly advised that you rescue the Hellknights and recruit Regill into your party as he will open up some good options later and it is strongly advised that you kill the Bug Queen in Leper's Smile ASAP and burn the corpse immediately.
Eventually you should make it to Drezen, hopefully with as many party members in tow as possible, and by the time you're done with Act 2 most of your gang will be ready to join you for the real Crusade Mode experience.
When you're making your expedition from Kenabres to Drezen in Act 2 you don't get a full appreciation for just how large the map is, you don't have to worry about any counter-attacks from any direction, and as long as you have soldiers to throw out at enemy armies and forts you can clear out the map at your own pace without any sense of urgency.
The instant you move into Act 3, though, the world begins to open up drastically and there is a lot of territory to cover and account for. The good news, for the most part, is that as long as you have a strong army to play offense and a strong army to play defense you can also take your time to clear out the map of enemy forces. The bad news is that without proper planning you could be caught with your pants down by an approaching enemy army, especially when there are hundreds of points on the map to consider.
Luckily, there is a pattern to how the enemy operates and to where certain Crusade Quests take place and all the territory on the map can, for Crusade purposes, be narrowed down to 20 specific dots. Those points are specified below and are noted for their importance. Points 12 and 16-20 are only reachable on foot in Act 5. All red arrows are the direction enemies are confirmed to attack from, all red squares are confirmed enemy spawn points.
Act 3 Locations
- 1 - Drezen - The single most important location throughout the game's Crusade mode. This is the city where you enable the recruitment of trainable units, where your adventuring party can rest and remove corruption, a primary quest hub, and the ultimate target for any and every invading demon army that spawns on the map. Unfortunately, it is totally exposed to invading armies from the west.
- 2 - Keeper's Canyon - The sole fort south of Drezen and the last buffer from any invading army that comes from the south.
- 3 - Vilareth Ford's Outpost - While not important from an army standpoint, this city is the closest city to three quest locations: Nameless Ruin, Chilly Creek, and Kenabres.
- 4 - Stone Maze - The fort between Wintersun and Keeper's Canyon is a key chokepoint that prevents invading armies from the south from getting closer to Drezen.
- 5 - During Act 5 a friendly Crusader army will spawn here during the Crusade Errand "Blockade of Reinforcements", which must be completed to advance the Military Council.
- 6 - During Act 5 an enemy army will spawn here during the Crusade Errand "Blockade of Reinforcements", which must be completed to advance the Military Council.
- 7 - During Act 5 an enemy army will spawn here during the Crusade Errand "Khorramzadeh's Trap", which must be completed to advance the Military Council.
- 8 - Gloomy Gorge - This fort, while unfortunately located, is still a key defensive position against invading armies from its northwest and southwest.
- 9 - During Act 3 an enemy army will spawn at this point during the Crusade Errand "Repelling the Assault", which must be completed to advance the Military Council. This army will head slowly towards Drezen until defeated.
- 10 - This is one of four confirmed spawn points that invader armies will spawn from. It will sometimes try to attack Gloomy Gorge and it will sometimes just go around Gloomy Gorge.
- 11 - Camp on the Ferry - This fort is ideally situated to block attacks that come from Iz and from Pulura's Fall and for that same reason is an ideal fort to teleport to.
- 12 - Pulura's Fall is a confirmed spawn point for invading enemy armies, who will sometimes attack Camp on the Ferry and will sometimes make a straight march towards Drezen. You and your armies cannot march to this point until Act 5.
- 13 - Tower of Yath - The closest fort to The Heart of Mystery and also the single closest point to a confirmed enemy spawn point, this will completely plug southern invasions from the source.
- 14 - This point is a confirmed spawn point for invading armies, capturing Tower of Yath will completely cut this point off attack.
- 15 - During Act 3 an enemy army will spawn at this point during the Crusade Errand "Storms Peak" which is not technically required to continue advancing the Military Council but should still be cleared out.
Act 5 Locations
- 16 - Necromancer's Grave - While it is not important from an army standpoint it is the closest fort to three quest locations during Act 5. Could also be interchanged with Tyrant's Keep.
- 17 - The Castle of Desires - This fort is ideally situated between several quest locations and is a guaranteed blocker to invading armies that come from Threshold in Act 5.
- 18 - Last Barrier - The closest fort to Threshold, the final quest location in the game. One could fortify this location, but it is not confirmed whether invading armies spawn at Threshold or at this location. It is recommended to fortify The Castle of Desires instead.
- 19 - During Act 5 an enemy army will spawn at this point during the Crusade Errand "Champions of the Abyss" which must be completed in order to conclude the Military Council.
- 20 - This point is a confirmed spawn point for invading armies, capturing Camp on the Ferry will cut this point off from the map.